Meet the Damascena rose, a plant native to the Middle East which is said to be good ” for the skin and soul “
- Name: Rosa damascena
- Scientific name: Rosa x Damascena
- Part used: Flowers, essential oils and hydrosol
- Main components: Geraniol, nerol, Citronellol, geranic acid (the oil contains around 300 chemical elements, of which about 100 have been identified)
- Actions: Sedative, antidepressant, anti-inflammatory, reduces cholesterol levels and is astringent
Description of the damascena rose
It is a deciduous shrub with expansive growth and an extension of up to 1.5 m. The petals of the flowers of the damask roses were used in astringent tinctures for the inflamed throat and to give flavor to other medicines. Their spines can be particularly sharp.
The Damascena rose is native to the Near East and arrived in Europe in the thirteenth century by the hand of the Crusader knights. It is considered that its appearance is due to a cross between Rose gallica and Rosa moschata. The essential oil of rosehip ( otto ) is extracted by vaporization (in Bulgaria and Turkey, especially) and is said to be good ” for the skin and soul “.
How to use the rose damascena
- Massage oil. As a massage oil, use 1 drop of rose oil in 5 ml (1 teaspoon) of almond oil to massage the temples and neck in case of stress or exhaustion.
- Bathrooms. It can also be used for baths by adding 2 drops of rose oil in bath water for depression, grief or insomnia.
- Cream. E worked with the petals or, if you prefer, you can add a few drops of rose oil to a base cream for dry or inflamed skin.
- Lotion. Rosewater – the water left over from the steam distillation process (hydrosol) – can be used as a base for many lotions by adding 10% of yarrow dye for vaginal itching or by mixing it with 50% witch hazel for a refreshing lotion. skins with a tendency to acne and pimples.
- Dyeing. The damask rose can also be taken in a tincture made with the petals taking 1-3 ml for nervous disorders, poor digestion or reduce cholesterol.
How to grow the rose damascena
This medicinal plant can grow in wild conditions, but it is grown in hedges . It prefers fertile but well-drained soils and not only tempers temperate and subtropical temperatures, but needs a minimum of five hours of sunshine per day during the growing season. It is customary to collect their multiply their woody stem cuttings in autumn and their flowers are collected in summer.
Warning: Avoid taking it during pregnancy and do not take the essential oil if it is not on the advice of a professional. Often, the rose oil sold is adulterated or synthesized, so make sure that the one you buy is of good quality.